Mixed Progress and Dolphins

Diposting oleh alexandria joseph | 02.28


Progress had been a little on and off over the last few days. When we have a little wind, Ella's Pink Lady flies along the flat water amazingly. But there's also been a few times with not any wind. This afternoon particularly was a little un-exciting, just rolling around not going anywhere in the heat. I started on a bit of school work this morning, thinking that if I couldn't be achieving forward progress, at least I could be achieving something. But I can't say I stuck with it for very long.

Instead, between dunkings of cool salt water and prodding the tiller to at least keep Ella's Pink Lady pointed in the right direction, I ended up giving the little Yanmar engine a full polish up and scrubbed out the bilges. As the sun set I was able to stand back hot and greasy but happy that I'd at least achieved something for the day. I'm sure that after another few months at sea, poor old Ella's Pink Lady wont quite be looking as great as she did sailing out of Sydney, but I'm a least going to do everything possible to try. And its like I'm constantly being told 'look after the boat and she'll look after you'.

When people talk about all the things needed to sail around the world they never seem to mention patience, but I'm fast learning that it's as important as anything.

This afternoon was pretty cool, a pod of dolphins spent a couple of hours hanging around and I had a great time sitting in the shade of the sails on the bow, feet dangling over the side (and yes clipped on!!) watching them play in clear water. I'm not sure what kind they were (small and completly grey) but they hung around for ages, so they can't have thought my music was too bad! I loved the way the dolphins would play around riding and shooting along the swell and can only imagine how much fun they must have in a big sea.

I'm really getting down to the dregs of the latest food bag so have been eating a bit randomly lately (dinner tonight was mince, tinned fruit and noodles!) Funnily enough I'm really looking forward to pulling out the new bag.

I've only just released how late it is. So that's going to have to be it for the night.

Jesse

PS: Thanks to Dad and Bruce over the last few days for being so patient with me over the phone and for understanding that sometimes a girl just doesn't feel like chatting!

PPS: Even with all the slow progress, now only about 370nm until we cross the equator!






0 komentar
Photobucket