‘I’ve not left any stone unturned’

Diposting oleh alexandria joseph | 12.24


Saif Ali Khan talks ‘Love Aaj Kal’ and tells what the film means to him

Saif Ali Khan is busy ‘aaj kal’ promoting his debut venture as a producer, ‘Love Aaj Kal’, in which he also plays the lead role alongside the ravishing Deepika Padukone. The film, directed by Imtiaz Ali, is a love story, a genre Imtiaz excels in.

‘Love Aaj Kal’ holds a lot of importance for Saif for more reasons than one. Apart from it being his first production, the film also comes after his two big flops in a row – ‘Tashan’ and ‘Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic’ – hence the need to get this one right.

Here’s what Saif has to say about the film and his choices:

On turning a producer

Production actually is not my cup of tea. But after attaining so many years of experience in this field, I’d like to have a creative niche of my own. You feel proud to have it finally. Since a lot of money is involved in filmmaking your inputs mean something else. I want to learn more about the business. The market earlier was different. Most heroes have moved on and turned directors or producers now. Also, there are not many independent producers left to work with.

On the making of ‘Love Aaj Kal’

Right now I’m nervous since I’m a fresher in production. I’m only learning the ifs and buts. Being the producer I need to look into every aspect of filmmaking, though I’ve not left any stone unturned from my end. We have had a great team, and I have learnt a lot in the process. My partner Dinesh Vijan has been a great help. I was more involved in the creative aspect of the film. All in all, the entire journey has not only been a learning experience but has been equally exciting too.

On picking a leaf or two from friends

I have been lucky to work with many great producers and big, established banners - Yash Raj Films and Dharma Productions majorly. I’ve learnt a lot of lessons in filmmaking from them. Karan Johar and Farhan Akhtar would have always been there to advise me, but I haven’t really called anyone.

On the film

The story primarily is about Jai who doesn’t believe in love and is practical. He believes that long distance relationship is a pain, so why not just be friends and not follow your heart. He comes across a person who tells him what love is all about. Imtiaz has made a simple love story which is not confusing at all as most people believe.

On playing a Sardar

I had meetings with top leaders of the Akali Dal for the look and they have appreciated me. I met them before I ventured into production as I did not want to miff them on anything. I have tried to shoulder all my responsibilities towards the religion. Dolly aunty has done my clothes and I have tried to give it an honest approach. I had to work on the accent. If I could pull off Langda Tyagi in ‘Omkara’, I think I have managed this one too.

On Imtiaz Ali as the director of his maiden venture

Very simple. He had a fantastic script and when you hear a good script and also when the director has the know-how of putting it down on screen just the same, that’s all what you need. The clever thing an actor does is not acting but the ‘listening’ he does in the drawing room as to what the director actually wants. This film is a result of being all ears to Imtiaz.

On Kareena being his first choice for the film

(Laughs) None of the directors listen to me. Imitaz too felt that Deepika suited the role better and hence left me dejected. Are you happy with the answer now?

On working with Deepika for the first time

Ours is an exuberant pair, isn’t it? We look nice and refreshing. Apart from being a new face, Deepika has all the attributes of an Indian beauty. Also, she is very professional and down-to-earth. Rani Mukerji and Deepika’s persona grounds me in real and on reel as well.

On the surprise package of the film – Harleen

The other heroine is going to be a surprise. Her name is Harleen. She’s not here at the moment because we wanted to keep the main focus on Deepika and myself right now.

On the title of the film

The title suits the story of the film which is about the love stories of people today and in yesteryears.

On Kareena's verdict on the film

She has seen the film and has liked it.


Labels: , ,




0 komentar
Photobucket