Day 5 - Sydney: Taronga Zoo, A bloody mishap, Nightclubs

Diposting oleh alexandria joseph | 23.00


Taronga Zoo

Taronga Zoo took up most of my day. There I saw all kinds of animals from Australia and other parts of the world: Lazy koalas, small kangaroos, crocodiles, emus, giraffes, an orang-utan with very long hair, venomous snakes, birds, etc. The highlight of my day was when a monkey stuck its finger up its ass, searched for something, pulled it out and ate it! The group of monkeys had complex social interactions together, much like humans.




Afterwards, I did a full loop of the monorail, just for old time's sake.

A Bloody Mishap

At night after doing my laundry and freshening up, I headed out to a nightclub called Home. As I was wandering in front of the long lines to get in, all of a sudden a guy fell from a staircase 6-7 metres above straight to the ground right in front of me. Apparently he was drunk and trying to slide down the railing. He fell flat on the pavement , hit his head and started bleeding! He was unconscious and did not move. His friends started screaming in disbelief.

I immediately called the police (I knew the emergency number here is 000 not 911). The woman on the line was annoyingly calm, but it was interesting to go through the prompts: "Police, ambulance or fire department?", "Where are you?", "What's the street address?", "Explain what happened.", "What height did he fall from?", "Is he breathing?", followed by medical instructions like how to cover his wound and that we shouldn't move him. The ambulance arrived a few minutes later. They handled the whole matter very calmly, almost too calmly, as if there was no sense of urgency. Then the police came to investigate if somebody pushed him or if he fell naturally. I went up to a policeman and told him what I'd seen. He took my name and contact info in case I needed to testify later. All in all, it was a shocking but eye-opening experience.

Nightclubs

Then I headed to a different nightclub, stood in line and started talking to an Aussie. When we got to the door, the bouncer indirectly told us both that he wasn't going to let us in. It was a bit harsh. As my Aussie friend said, it was probably because we weren't young females with large breasts! This was odd, it has never happened to me in Canada.

In the end I decided to forget about nightclubs and just sit at Darling Harbour and do some people-watching. I saw lots of drunkenness, including a decent looking white guy taking a leak next to a rubbish bin.

I still don't have a plan for tomorrow. I'm going to flick through my Lonely Planet guidebook now and make one.






0 komentar
Photobucket