Closing on the Cape. Slowly!

Diposting oleh alexandria joseph | 15.39


I'm really not having the most exciting time down here at the moment. We've still got very, very little wind meaning very, very little progress towards the Cape. All this slow progress and light winds really wasn't something I expected in these latitudes, so I've sure had to adjust my expectations.

Yesterday the wind dropped out again to the point that Ella's Pink Lady sat completely stationary rolling on a glassy swell for quite a few hours. Making any ground at all in conditions like this means a lot of sitting out in the cold, either hand steering or constantly adjusting Parker to keep us on the right heading. I have to say I'm a lot more prone to giving up and just letting us drift and going back in to the warmer cabin, than I was when we were becalmed in the warmer areas in the doldrums!

To try to take my mind off the tedious speeds and uncomfortable rolling, I've been working away at a few books, totally throwing myself into the stories. Mum keeps asking me what books I'm reading and I think she's a bit surprised at my replies. I've hardly picked up an adventure or sailing story since leaving. Instead I've been reading and re-reading the most mindless, trashy
stories that I have. When part of your mind (and often all of it) is constantly thinking of nothing but sailing and all the different aspects of looking after Ella's Pink Lady, the last thing I feel like doing is reading about more sailing!

So things out here couldn't be more different to all the stories of swimming, sunshine, diving and surfing from back home. But as always, I wouldn't be anywhere else. Having no wind can completely drive you up the wall, but at the same time seeing the surface of the big, gentle swell become so glassy that it reflects the moody, grey sky is just incredible. So good things still do come with the bad.

Anyway down to business. The has wind has finally picked up to a steady 12knots in the last few hours, so Ella's Pink Lady is pushing along nicely again now. You have no idea how good it feels to be moving again! We've still got about 270nm till Cape Horn and if the wind behaves as expected, we are aiming for the rounding sometime on the 13th.

I've got all my fingers, toes, limbs and everything else crossed hoping that the weather works out ok for the fly-over with Mum and Dad!

Rounding the Cape is sure going to be a huge milestone!

Jesse






0 komentar
Photobucket