Night-time, Little Habits and on to the Equator

Diposting oleh alexandria joseph | 17.45


I'm now full of energy today after getting some good sleep during the night and a good breakfast with a plenty of cream this morning!

There's still a good sized swell today but it's much longer and more gentle and the suns even out at the moment, so I've been standing outside enjoying it. When we're in trough between two waves Ella's Pink Lady feels small and a little lost then up we go again to the top of the next swell, and with a good view out to the horizon. It's as if we're on top of the world. Then off rolls another wave giving us a little push along as it goes.

The wind eased off a bit overnight after blowing 25knots yesterday and this morning we've got a perfect 15knots still pushing us along on a broad reach. We're making the most of the wind and loving the good progress while it lasts. Now that the Tasman is behind us I'm really starting to look forward to reaching the equator, it'll be my first time crossing the line so it should be pretty exciting!

I've been thinking about some of the little habits I've fallen into, like brushing my teeth every morning sitting out on the cabin top, the packet of lollies or nuts that sits beside me while I'm working at the computer and sleeping in my harness, lifejacket and overalls, with a knife in my pocket and a headlight about my neck. It might sound a little un-comfortable but I get my best sleep knowing that I can be in the cockpit clipped on and in the cockpit in less than a few seconds.

A few people have been asking about what it's like at night out here so I'll have a crack at describing it. I think a lot of people get goose bumps when they think about being out here all by themself because I think most people imagine it to be like a night in the suburbs all quiet and eerie. But it’s not like that at all. Firstly, because there's the constant noise and motion of the boat. Then there's the waves and wind for company! On a clear night the stars are pretty amazing but I love the dark overcast nights almost as much when I can stand behind the dodger for protection, feeling Ella's Pink Lady ploughing along and not really knowing what comes next!

Keep an eye out on Network Ten’s OneHD tonight from 7.30pm when I'll be talking to Thursday Night Live on Skype. For those who cannot see it, keep an eye out on the website and I'm sure it'll be loaded up there by the team tomorrow.

I was meaning to explain the power systems onboard Ella's Pink Lady today but this is long enough for now so I better go start on a few little bits of maintenance and today's chores.

With so many comments on the blog, I don’t get the chance to reply to every one of them, but Mum also keeps me updated on all the comments each evening. I enjoy hearing a little more detail about everyone and love the little quotes and positive messages etc, so keep them coming!

Jesse






0 komentar
Photobucket